Tuesday, August 11, 2009

santa monica farmers market - part 2

I *LOVE* beets! I grew up in Hong Kong where no fresh beets were available at that time. When I was small, I will hide a can of Del Monte beets at the very back of the pantry whenever my parents got them from the supermarket. Obviously, I didn't really know what beets are when I was at that age. I thought those are candied fruits or something like that.

In California, fresh beets are basically available all year round. Since I made roast beets salad last time, I am going to make no-cook version using raw beets.


Raw beet salad on baby greens

- 3 beets, peel and cut into matchstick or use food processor to roughly shred them
- 1 shallot, minced
- extra virgin olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- some dijon mustrard, salt, and pepper to taste
- toss everything together with fresh dill

* you can serve this by itself or with baby greens salad. It is a perfect side dish for grilled flank steak or any grilled red meat too.


Peach in chantilly cream with Grand Marnier


Peaches are gorgeous this year too. Again,...another no-cook recipe.

- sliced peaches, 8 segments per peach
- heavy cream, whip to soft peak and fold in grand marnier to taste

Enjoy your summer!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh i love your blog
    nice pictures!!

    greets from germany
    ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful lifestyle-type food photography. makes me want to hit up the sm farmers market (been meaning to this summer, but something always comes up).

    ReplyDelete